More
    HomeMetroTinubu approves redesigning of Abuja-Kaduna dual carriageway

    Tinubu approves redesigning of Abuja-Kaduna dual carriageway

    Published on

    spot_img

    President Bola Tinubu, has given approval for the redesign of the remaining 127 kilometres of the Rehabilitation of Abuja – Kaduna – Zaria – Kano Dual Carriageway, Section I (Abuja – Kaduna) using continuously reinforced concrete pavement (CRCP) instead of asphaltic.

    This was made public by the Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, in a statement signed by Director, Press and Public Relations of the Ministry, Mohammed Ahmed, in Abuja, Tuesday.

    He said, “The contract, divided into three (3) sections, was awarded to Messrs Julius Berger (Nig.) PLC on 20th December, 2017 at an initial sum of N155, 748,178,425.50 billion with a completion period of thirty-six (36) months.

    “However, due to one reason or another, only Section II (Kaduna – Zaria) have been completed and partly handed over, with Section III (Zaria – Kano) partially completed, while Section I remained in a deplorable state worsened by continuous wear and tear, as well as the vagaries of weather.

    “In order to ameliorate the suffering of road users on the alignment, and most especially, in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda of the present administration to enhance critical infrastructures and transportation as enablers of growth, the said section was redesigned and re-scoped.

    “ It was divided into two (2) phases with Section I, Phase 1, covering 38 kilometres, redesigned to be built with CRCP (ragid/concrete pavement) and awarded to Messrs Dangote Industries Ltd., who subcontracted it to Messrs Hitech Africa Construction Ltd.

    “However, due to the slow pace of work and abandonment of the remaining 127 kilometres, also considering the plight of road users and, most importantly, its socioeconomic impact as a gateway to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) from the North, the Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, has, continuously engaged the company to accept the final reviewed contract sum and remobilise to site. “

    He further explained that, “The lackadaisical approach to the project by the company, despite several variations and augmentations, prompted the Ministry to convey the approval of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for a Final Offer of a reviewed contract sum of N740, 797, 204, 173.25 billion.

    “They were asked to accept the offer within seven (7) days or the contract will be terminated. The ultimatum expired yesterday, 4th November, 2024 and the company had already been served a 14-day Notice of Termination of Contract.”

    According to the statement, the Minister had, at different fora, hinted that if Messrs Julius Berger (Nig.) Plc are not willing to continue with the project at the agreed amount, they may as well come out plain, as the Ministry is ready to do it on concrete, while maintaining the same quality with that of the Lagos – Calabar Coastal Highway or the Apapa – Oworonshoki Expressway, which is built to last for between 50 – 100 years.

    “Engr. Umahi also maintained that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is very worried about the stalemate on the remaining section of this very important road and is eager to see it resolved for work to commence, in earnest.” Mohammed added.

     

    Kindly share this story:

    Contact: [email protected]

    Stay informed!
    Follow us on: X.com: @TheReporter2024
    Follow us on: Facebook: TheReporterNigeria
    WhatsApp for breaking news, updates and exclusive content. Don't miss a headline – Click below to join now!
    WHATSAPP

    Latest articles

    Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, NNPCL Board, appoints Engr Ojulari as new GCEO

    President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved a sweeping reconstitution of the Nigerian National Petroleum...

    Nigerian pilgrims to enjoy better services as lawmakers approve Hajj reforms

    By Ishola Balogun In a bold move to address the plight of Nigerian pilgrims, the...

    Okpebholo visits Kano, vows justice for burnt travelers

    Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, visited Kano State to pay his condolences to the...

    Eid-el-Fitr: DWC Int’l Resources hails partners, clients

    As The Muslim community celebrates Eid, DWC International Resources has extended warm greetings to...

    More like this

    Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, NNPCL Board, appoints Engr Ojulari as new GCEO

    President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved a sweeping reconstitution of the Nigerian National Petroleum...

    Nigerian pilgrims to enjoy better services as lawmakers approve Hajj reforms

    By Ishola Balogun In a bold move to address the plight of Nigerian pilgrims, the...

    Okpebholo visits Kano, vows justice for burnt travelers

    Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, visited Kano State to pay his condolences to the...