More
    HomeHuman InterestEl-Rufai to spend another night in ICPC custody

    El-Rufai to spend another night in ICPC custody

    Published on

    Former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, is expected to spend a second night in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), with no confirmed report of his release as of late evening.

    The anti-graft agency had earlier confirmed his detention in a statement signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, Mr. Okor Odey.

    “The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former Governor of Kaduna state is in our custody as at close of work today Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations,” Odey said.

    However, sources familiar with the process said investigators were still engaging the former governor.

    “They are carrying out standard investigative procedures, including questioning him, taking his statement under caution and reviewing financial and project documents linked to his administration,” a source said.

    El-Rufai’s continued stay in ICPC custody follows developments earlier in the week after he honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial improprieties linked to his tenure between 2015 and 2023.

    He spent two nights at the EFCC’s Abuja headquarters undergoing questioning over transactions and projects executed during his administration, part of a broader scrutiny of Kaduna State’s finances during his eight-year tenure.

    The EFCC granted El-Rufai administrative bail on Wednesday evening after the initial round of questioning. Moments later, armed operatives stationed outside the commission’s premises took him into fresh custody in connection with a separate probe.

    The ICPC subsequently issued formal confirmation that the former governor was in its custody.

    The development highlights the overlapping but distinct mandates of Nigeria’s anti-graft and security agencies, where multiple bodies may pursue different investigative angles involving the same high-profile figure.

    The matter has also drawn in the Department of State Services (DSS) following El-Rufai’s recent television comments alleging unlawful phone interception involving the National Security Adviser. The claim has already triggered separate cybercrime charges filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

    Inside the ICPC facility in Abuja, investigators were said to be reviewing documentary evidence and confronting the former governor with financial records, contract files and other materials relevant to their inquiry, a process that typically requires the suspect’s physical presence to clarify entries and formally record statements under caution.

    As of press time, multiple calls and messages sent to ICPC spokesman Mr. Okor Odey seeking updated official comments on El-Rufai’s status had not been returned.

    Kindly share this story:

    Contact: editor@thereporterng.com

    Stay informed!
    Follow us on: X.com: @TheReporter2024
    Follow us on: Facebook: TheReporterNigeria
    WhatsApp for breaking news, updates and exclusive content. Don't miss a headline – Click below to join now!
    WHATSAPP

    Latest articles

    Mob lynches accident victim over AK-47 rifles in Niger State

    A shocking incident occurred in Niger State on February 17, 2026, where an accident...

    Nigerian Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

    Military sources on Thursday confirmed the death of the Chief of Operations at Naval...

    FAAN, MTN bridge connectivity gap with free airport WiFi

    Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, in partnership with MTN Nigeria, Thursday, launched free...

    Owo Church Attack: Court orders 5 alleged Al-Shabab terrorists to open defence March 4

    ...admits confessional statements, cellphone, forensic report as exhibitsThe Federal High Court sitting in Abuja,...

    More like this

    Mob lynches accident victim over AK-47 rifles in Niger State

    A shocking incident occurred in Niger State on February 17, 2026, where an accident...

    Nigerian Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

    Military sources on Thursday confirmed the death of the Chief of Operations at Naval...

    FAAN, MTN bridge connectivity gap with free airport WiFi

    Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, in partnership with MTN Nigeria, Thursday, launched free...