More
    HomeNewsWorld NewsTrump captures Venezuela President, wife, says US 'will run' Venezuela until 'safe'...

    Trump captures Venezuela President, wife, says US ‘will run’ Venezuela until ‘safe’ transition

    *Adds: Nicolas Maduro will stand trial in US

    Published on

    President Donald Trump said Saturday the United States will “run” Venezuela until a political transition can occur, after the US military operation to remove Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro from the country.
    “We’re going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” Trump told a press conference, adding that US forces were ready to conduct a second, “much bigger” wave of strikes if necessary.
    US President Donald Trump struck a triumphant note over the capture of Nicolas Maduro on Saturday, saying he had watched live as US forces seized the Venezuelan leader from a “fortress.”
    “I’ve never seen anything like this. I was able to watch it in real time,” the 79-year-old Republican said in a telephone interview with Fox News.
    “I watched it, literally, like I was watching a television show. And if you would have seen the speed, the violence.”
    Charged with narco terrorism
    US Attorney General Pam Bondi on Saturday announced that captured Venezuelan incumbent president Nicolas Maduro has been charged with narco-terrorism and would face US justice.
    In a post on X, she said, “Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, have been indicted in the Southern District of New York. Nicolas Maduro has been charged with Narco-Terrorism Conspiracy, Cocaine Importation Conspiracy, Possession of Machineguns and Destructive Devices, and Conspiracy to Possess Machineguns and Destructive Devices against the United States. They will soon face the full wrath of American justice on American soil in American courts. On behalf of the entire U.S. DOJ, I would like to thank President Trump for having the courage to demand accountability on behalf of the American People, and a huge thank you to our brave military who conducted the incredible and highly successful mission to capture these two alleged international Narco- traffickers.”
    The Attorney General’s remarks come as US President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the US had carried out a large strike against Venezuela during which the incumbent President Maduro and his wife “were captured and flown out of the country”.

    Earlier in the day…

    The operation was announced by Trump on social media hours after the attack.

    Multiple explosions rang out and low-flying aircraft swept through Caracas, the capital, as Maduro’s government immediately accused the United States of attacking civilian and military installations. The Venezuelan government called it an “imperialist attack” and urged citizens to take to the streets.

    It was not immediately clear who was running the country, and Maduro’s whereabouts were not immediately known. Trump announced the developments on Truth Social shortly after 4:30am ET.

    Maduro, Trump said, “has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country. This operation was done in conjunction with US Law Enforcement. Details to follow.” He set a news conference for later Saturday morning.

    Kindly share this story:

    Contact: editor@thereporterng.com

    Stay informed!
    Follow us on: X.com: @TheReporter2024
    Follow us on: Facebook: TheReporterNigeria
    WhatsApp for breaking news, updates and exclusive content. Don't miss a headline – Click below to join now!
    WHATSAPP

    Latest articles

    Ramadan Reflection 04: Don’t miss your Taraweeh Prayers

    By Haroon-Ishola Balogun (08036688535 WhatsApp Only)Taraweeh is one of the greatest spiritual gifts of Ramadan....

    Arewa group launches free health check initiative in Lagos

    The Northern Progressive Group (NPG), South West Zone, has flagged off a state-wide free...

    Pheelz takes center stage on Glo-sponsored African Voices Changemakers on CNN int’l

    This weekend, Nigerian sonic architect Pheelz will step into the global spotlight as the...

    FCT Elections: S’ Court, A’ Court defy Wike’s public holiday, conduct proceedings

    The Supreme Court and Court of Appeal conducted proceedings on Friday, despite a public...

    More like this

    Ramadan Reflection 04: Don’t miss your Taraweeh Prayers

    By Haroon-Ishola Balogun (08036688535 WhatsApp Only)Taraweeh is one of the greatest spiritual gifts of Ramadan....

    Arewa group launches free health check initiative in Lagos

    The Northern Progressive Group (NPG), South West Zone, has flagged off a state-wide free...

    Pheelz takes center stage on Glo-sponsored African Voices Changemakers on CNN int’l

    This weekend, Nigerian sonic architect Pheelz will step into the global spotlight as the...